Soft Butter Rolls

I have been on the hunt for a good roll recipe for a long time. I have tried 3 or 4 different kinds in the last month or so. The ones that I have tried up to this point have been too sweet or too dry or had some other imperfection. These ones though, worked out wonderfully. 


It was lucky for me that these turned out. After googling "roll recipes" I found beautiful pictures of soft butter rolls. I clicked on the link and read all the directions on how to make them. I was stoked. When I got home and started to get my ingredients out, I realized that all the ingredients were dry ingredients with the exception of the butter. After unsuccessfully trying to find the rest of the recipe, I decided that I was dedicated enough to improvise and see what happened. 


These pretty, round rolls were the result.

Recipe:
Yield: 12 rolls

1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tsp yeast
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp dry milk powder
1 egg
3 tbsp butter, melted

Put the yeast in the warm water and allow it to sit until it starts to dissolve and swell, about 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, and dry milk powder together. In a small bowl, combine the egg and melted butter. Add in the dissolved yeast. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. 

Form the dough into a ball and put into a deep, well oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow raise until doubled in size, about 1-1 1/2 hours (I turn my oven on and put the bowl on top of it so the yeast gets a warm, happy environment).

After doubled in size, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 12 pieces. Roll into smooth, round balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 375. Butter the rolls immediately after removing from the oven. 

Source: Heavily adapted from the Bread Experience Blog

Comments

Popular Posts