Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese

Macaroni 
& Cheese

Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese

As a kid I remember loooving Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. There was nothing quite like it and I’m pretty sure it was one of the very first things I successfully cooked all on my own. My young self was proud, and satisfied. I ate this all through college and even post marriage. As it turns out, my husband had the same love for it that I did. I’m pretty sure that most of you can agree to that love at least on some level.
One of the best things about boxed Macaroni and Cheese is that it is quick, easy, and will satisfy most who eat it. I’d be lying if I said my adult self hasn’t fed my child or consumed this myself within the last year. Special shout out to those who decided to make the noodles in the shape of Star Wars – my 4 year old loves and appreciates you!
I was a little irritated when I first got my Instant Pot that one of the first things that always showed up in both Google and Pinterest searches for Instant Pot recipes was Macaroni and Cheese. I’ve tried lots of tasty Mac and Cheese recipes and have several baked varieties that I love and stick with. I had yet to try a stovetop version that even held a candle to any baked version and I was confident I would have the same problem with Mac and Cheese made in the Instant Pot. No thanks, I’ll pass. It wasn’t until I was ovenless for a month that I had to get creative and this is one of the first things I tried then, 4 months after I first got my Instant Pot. Maybe there was something to it if everyone was raving about it, right? If nothing else it would fill our bellies and wouldn’t need an oven. I don’t ask for much.
I can’t even express to you how happy I am that I made that leap. GUYS this is soooo easy and delicious. I’m not even lying to you when I say it is EVERY BIT AS EASY as good ole’ Kraft Mac and Cheese. Literally put the noodles, water, butter, and salt in the instant pot and push go. When it’s done you add in some cheese and milk and viola! Dinner. Delicious, simple, and everyone enjoys it. I promise it’s just as good as a slaved-over-baked-mac-and-cheese.
When all was said and done after dinner this night, my 4 year old was already talking about the next time we were going to eat this and kept saying “Daddy, next time we have Mac and Cheese and Broccoli for dinner we can eat outside and watch me go down the slide.”
Be it the slide or the food, I’m okay with him making memories around food and if he associates this meal with good memories he won’t even care that it takes approximately 2 minutes of my life to prepare once he’s old enough to understand how simple it is and how little effort it involves.
This recipe has everything I love in a good weeknight meal. It’s tasty, satisfies everyone – husband, toddler, and baby. It’s got a yummy, creamy taste. I can get it cooking and walk away taking a quick walk with the dogs, cleaning ,or helping with homework while it does its thing. Serve it with a side veggie (roasted broccoli is my FAVORITE) and you have a complete meal. Winning.
I based my recipe on the one posted by Lindsay on Pinch of Yum. She’s for sure one of my favorite bloggers and I can count on most of her recipes working for me. Make sure to check out her blog and try at least a few of her delicious creations!
Let’s get to the heart of your next Instant Pot meal:


Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese


Quick, easy, and delicious Mac and Cheese made in the Instant Pot that the whole family will love!
  • Author: Tiffany
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 4 minutes
  • Total Time: 25 minutes
  • Yield: 6-8
  • Category: Instant Pot

Ingredients

  • 16 oz macaroni noodles
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup milk

Instructions

  • Put the noodles, water, butter, and salt into the instant pot.
  • Put the lid on the Instant Pot with the valve in sealing position and pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Let the Instant Pot natural release for 10 minutes or so (feel free to vary a little from this if needed, this recipe is forgiving). Release the rest of the pressure, open the Instant Pot
  • Stir in your milk and cheese until melty and delicious.
  • Enjoy!

Notes

You can release the pressure and mix in the milk and cheese without letting it naturally release first if you so choose or are pressed for time. Do beware of the spray though, the more pressure that is in the Pot when you release it, the greater your chance of spray happening. Just make sure your arm isn’t in the way and open the valve with a wooden spoon if possible
.

Comments

Popular Posts