Spice Rubbed Chicken & Veggies


Spice Rubbed Chicken

Spice Rubbed Chicken and Veggies


Do you cook with chicken thighs? I never did until I married my husband. White meat ruled the day at my house growing up and I just never really tried the dark meat. My husband, however; is all about dark meat. Give him all the wings and legs and thighs please and thank you. I’ve slowly come around to this way of thinking and actually really learned to enjoy the dark meat. I’m on a big chicken thigh kick currently. They are nice and juicy aaaaaand actually ring in at a cheaper price than chicken breasts. Just be sure to get the boneless skinless kind – ain’t nobody got time to mess around with all those tiny bones. Do you hear my Texas drawl ya’ll?? I’m trying but it is a very slow work in progress.
I can’t stress enough how much I love an easy meal. The less mess, the less dishes, the less hassle the better. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely appreciate a good meal and am willing to work for it. I’ll cut my own veggies, grate my own cheese, and make my own rolls from scratch BUT if there is a way to simplify the process without losing quality you better believe I’ll do it. This is one of those meals that comes together perfectly and easily but still tastes delicious.
The spice combo is not one I ever would have tried myself. Thank goodness I decided to follow the recipe here. I love both dry mustard and cumin and use both of them fairly regularly. Combining them here was a great idea, as was the addition of finely diced onion. It’s small enough to not be overwhelming but just enough to add a nice depth of flavor.
Here is the quick and dirty on how to make this dish:
Spice Rubbed Chicken Step 1
Mix all your spices together with the olive oil to make a nice rub for both your chicken and the potatoes. You’ll put half of it on the diced potatoes and the other half on the chicken. Then they cook at the same time, on the same pan. Yes, you read that right – only one pan! It gets better though – after they’ve cooked for a while we’ll add the asparagus right on top. Just open the oven, you’ll likely have to take the pan out, toss the asparagus on top of your mostly cooked chicken and potatoes and let everything finish together.
Spice Rubbed Chicken step 2
This takes maybe 10 minutes of prep work and then all that’s left is the cooking. That means more time for you to clean your kitchen or do homework with the kids. #winning
This also reheats very well. If you are into meal prepping, this is a great option. It is well balanced and can easily and neatly be packed away for consumption throughout the week. It is also very easy to substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you’d rather go that route. The original recipe simply calls for a whole chicken if you’d prefer. I don’t really care to take the time to disassemble it myself, but it can definitely be done if you’re into that kind of thing.
Spice Rubbed Chicken Plate
This recipe comes from Williams Sonoma “Weeknight Fast and Fresh” cookbook by Kristine Kidd. It is easily one of my most loved and used cookbooks. It contains complete meals rather than just a meat or a side dish and is separated into seasons so you can cook produce according to what is growing. Everything cooks up fast, and as the title implies is made with fresh ingredients. If you’re in the market for a new cookbook, I highly recommend it.


Spice Rubbed Chicken and Veggies


Author:
 Tiffany
Quick and easy meal prep style meal you, the husband, and kids will love for dinner today and lunch tomorrow.
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 40 minutes
  • Yield: 4-6 Servings
  • Category: Meal Prep

Ingredients

  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • Onion
  • 1.5-2 lbs chicken thighs
  • 4-5 Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • 1 lb asparagus

Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  • Finely chop your onion – almost to the point of mincing. Dice the potatoes into bite size pieces. Trim the woody ends off of the asparagus.
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the potatoes on half of the baking sheet.
  • Mix the olive oil, dry mustard, cumin, onion in a medium bowl. Remove half of the mixture and add it to the potatoes on your pan. Using your clean hands, mix it into the potatoes so that all are coated.
  • Trim the fat from the chicken thighs, and add to the bowl with the spice mixture. Toss to coat. Put the chicken on the other half of your pan.
  • Lightly season the chicken and potatoes with salt and pepper.
  • Put in to bake for 20 minutes.
  • Add asparagus to the pan with the chicken and potatoes and bake for 10 more minutes.
  • Enjoy!

Notes

These can all be cooked on separate baking sheets if it stresses you out having them all on one. I’m forever on team #lessdishes however, and routinely do it this way
.

Comments

Popular Posts