Oreo Balls

Oreo Balls

Oreo Balls

Guys. Are you ready to make one of the easiest desserts alive? It gets better though – this dessert will likely get you more compliments than any other one you could make. You’ll feel a little guilty at how little effort it took for the attention you’re getting.
Oreo Balls lined up
One of my very best friends introduced me to this recipe. She simply told it to me even – it’s easy enough you don’t even need to write it down. After making it that first time many years ago, it has become a go to whenever I need to make a dessert for a party or work function. I’m not kidding when I say that everyone loves these Oreo Balls. I’ve had comments such as “what is this black magic?” and “these are the best cake balls I’ve ever had!” Jokes on them – these aren’t actually cake balls and I did very little work. Side note: you may never see a cake ball recipe from me. Yes, they’re delicious. Yes, I’ve made them – many times, actually. BUT I really don’t like to. They take sooooo much effort and soooo much time and the reward for your effort just isn’t there. I really struggle making things that take all day to make and approximately two seconds to eat. Not cool.
Undipped oreo balls
Are you ready for the awesome simplicity here? You take a package of Oreos, the standard kind. No double stuffed, no fancy flavors, just plain old Oreos. Crush your Oreos and add in a package of cream cheese. You can do this in a variety of ways but the easiest way I have found is to use my stand mixer. I just dump the Oreos and cream cheese right in and let it do all the crushing and mixing at the same time. It takes a couple minutes and is completely hands off on my part. Big win. Then take your cookie dough scooper, or simply a spoon, and form them into little balls. You’ll want each one to be about tablespoon sized. That makes them just big enough you can take a couple bites and savor the goodness but also just small enough that if you’re someone who likes to just eat the whole thing in one fell swoop you can.
Oreo balls, inside
After that, throw them in the freezer while you melt your chocolate. I find it far easier to dip any sort of ball into chocolate when it’s cold. It will hold its shape so much better and is less likely to fall apart. I use my freezer because I prefer to be quick about it and can get away with 15 minutes or so to chill. If you use your fridge, you’ll want closer to 30 minutes.
Let’s talk about dipping in chocolate for just a minute too. I have had many struggles with it and this is what I have found. The ‘dipping’ chocolates are typically no good and get chunky and gross before you can finish what you’re doing. Yes, they’re cheaper and that may be appealing but I feel like I end up using the same price equivalent because I have to use so much more. The only dipping chocolate that I have successfully used, and still use to this day, is Ghirardelli Dipping Chocolate. Of course I like the dark chocolate variety and honestly don’t know if they make a lighter version…?? Though, I ‘m sure they do. The real deal chocolate works well to dip in too, but is a little softer and harder to get a good shell out of. Again, I prefer darker chocolate here too. I will say that I don’t think that preference is just mine as we do seem to get more comments about their deliciousness when they’re made with dark chocolate. And finally, put your sprinkles on before the chocolate sets, no matter which variety you choose.
Oreo Balls bowl
Now, go make yourself some Oreo Balls and try not to eat them all yourself.


Oreo Balls


Author:
 Tiffany
Forget cake balls, these delicious balls of magic will be the highlight of any party!
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 Minutes
  • Total Time: 60 minutes
  • Yield: 24-30 oreo balls
  • Category: Dessert

Ingredients

  • 1 package original oreos
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 6 oz dipping chocolate
  • Sprinkles for decoration

Instructions

  • Crush your oreos. This can be done by placing them in a large plastic bag and smashing with a rolling pin or even your hand. You can also use a food processor or stand mixer (my choice!)
  • Mix in your crushed oreos with the cream cheese until mostly homogenous
  • Form into balls, I do this using a cookie dough scoop.
  • Cool the balls, either in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
  • Melt your chocolate.
  • Dip chilled balls into the chocolate and place on parchment paper to set. Sprinkle with the decoration of your choice quickly before the chocolate cools.
  • Keep in the fridge until serving.
  • Be the highlight of the party
    .

Comments

Popular Posts