Tuna Casserole

Tuna Casserole

Tuna Casserole

You know how some meals are just so nostalgic? They trigger whatever memory you have permanently associated with the smell or the action? This is one of those meals for me. I can remember eating and making Tuna Casserole for as long as I have memory. My mom made this and taught me how to make it and there is a really good chance I will teach my daughter how to make it.
Tuna Casserole Table
Part of the beauty of this dish is it’s simplicity. It isn’t fancy, it isn’t a showstopper, and it isn’t going to win any big deal awards – BUT that is not the point here. The point is comfort food that the whole family will love. Food that you can make up relatively easy and have on the table in a reasonably short amount of time. Food that will be shared while you talk about homework and cheerleading and whatever the popular boy said to you that day. Food that your 16 year old self will be so proud that she made from scratch to finish without mom’s help and even without the recipe book. THAT is really what makes a meal – and this meal will absolutely check all of those marks.
Plus, I mean it does have peas so that makes it well rounded, right? At least semi well rounded. It also involves tuna, so I’m calling it a win, haha. A big win finished off with a yummy cheesy sauce and a whole lot of carbs. Exactly what the younger version of yourself would have considered the perfect meal and one that screams comfort food for the modern day self.
Tuna Casserole Pan
While my version of Tuna Casserole is a little different today, it still gets all the same flavor points as the Tuna Casserole from my childhood. I prefer to do a homemade version of the Campbell’s Cream of Chicken (or Mushroom!) soup that was found in the original. It’s an easy roux mixed with chicken broth. I also like to mix my peas in with the rest of it. My mom would spread them across the top. That allowed her to accommodate picky eaters and give the option to have peas or not. I also seem to have it in the recesses of my memory somewhere that the peas were added partway through cooking? Though I may be mistaken there. The final difference found in my version today is that I simply buy a can of bread crumbs and use those. In my earlier days, we would break the bread into tiny crumbs and mix it with the butter. It gave it a delicious, authentic feel that I can definitely still appreciate. I just don’t always have bread available in my house aaaaand this way is easier.
Tuna Casserole bowl
So, my instructions to you are to go home and enjoy this meal, or a similarly comforting meal today. It’s not fancy, it’s everyday and everyday is beautiful and should be celebrated. Sometimes the best thing that can happen is absolutely, completely ordinary. No fuss, no frills, no stress. We all need a little bit more of that in our lives. You will look back on those (these!) everyday life moments fondly. They did, after all, help to shape who you are today. They are most of the memories of your past and will be the memories of your children’s future. Create food for them that will help them to remember way more than just the meal. I promise it’s likely happening without you even realizing it.

Tuna Casserole


Author:
 Tiffany
Easy comfort food that will inspire loving family conversation around the dinner table.
  • Prep Time: 20 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 minutes
  • Total Time: 40 minutes
  • Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients

  • 16 oz wide egg noodles
  • 6 oz canned tuna, drained
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  •  1 cup frozen peas
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs

Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  • Put a large salted pot of water on to boil. Once it is boiling, add the egg noodles and cook until al dente – about 11 minutes.
  • Melt 4 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan. Once melted, add the flour and whisk to combine. Brown for about 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Add the chicken broth, reduce heat, and allow to thicken.
  • Turn the heat off your sauce mixture and add in the cheese and tuna, stirring until the cheese is melted and then add in the peas. Add in the cooked noodles and stir until everything is well combined then transfer to an 8×8 baking dish.
  • In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter. Add in the bread crumbs and toast for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Spread in an even layer over the casserole in the baking dish.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
  • Enjoy!

Notes

For a more rustic feel, use actual bread broken or food processed into crumbs rather than the can of bread crumbs you can buy from the store.

Comments

Popular Posts