Pearl Couscous Salad

My biggest shortcoming as far as food is concerned is side dishes/appetizers hands down. I get so focused on the main part of the mean, any little flourish on the side is almost always completely lost. As such, this is something I have been putting forth a concerted effort to fix this problem of mine. 


One sub-problem that I have is variety. It would be so much easier if I could make corn and potatoes to go with everything. Buuut, not only would that get old really quick, my husband would go on strike even faster. Enter: Pearl Couscous. I never even knew there were different kinds of couscous before this recipe. Score!


This was so good! It will definitely be a side dish at our house again. It was tasty and has a nice sweet tang to it. If anyone knows me, they know I like it sweet. If I can have sweet in my main course as well as desert, life is so much better!

Recipe:

2 cups pearl couscous (also known as Isreali Couscous)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup dried cranberries
2 green apples, diced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme

For the Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon - the zest and the juice of half
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Heat the 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the couscous and cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until the liquid is almost evaporated, 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to allow it to cool while you make the vinaigrette. Add the parsley, rosemary, thyme, red onion, apple, dried cranberries, and almonds. 

To make the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. 

Pour the vinaigrette over the couscous mixture and toss evenly to coat. Enjoy!

Source: adapted from Foodiddy, originally from the Food Network

Comments

Popular Posts