Chocolate Almond Macaroon Bars

My mom knows me so well. My Christmas haul: Hershey's 4 books in 1 cookbook, Williams Sonoma Fast and Fresh cookbook, and my first ever fancy cutting board. Needless to say, I have been trying a lot of new things lately. This recipe is brought to you from the Hershey's 4 books in 1. It does not disappoint. 


I took this picture a couple days after making this. Yes, between Hunter and I, we had made this much of a dent in the pan all by ourselves. I could have eaten the whole thing all by myself, truth be told. 


You can't really go wrong with oreos, coconut, almonds, and chocolate. I did think about subbing out the white chocolate (I don't even think it should be considered chocolate if you want my real opinion, haha), but I am glad I didn't. It added a nice flavor and makes them look pretty.

Recipe:
Yield: 24-36 bars, depending on how you cut them

2 cups Oreo crumbs (this took about 5/6 of a package of oreos - so you still have a few to munch on afterwards)
6 tbsp butter, melted
6 tbsp powdered sugar
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
3 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Turn the oven on to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan. Combine the Oreo crumbs, melted butter, and powdered sugar and mix until well combined. Press into an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Mix the sweetened condensed milk, coconut, and almonds together and spoon over the oreo layer. Spread it into an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until coconut begins to brown.  Allow to cool completely. 

Microwave semisweet chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream together in 30 second bursts until well mixed and completely smooth (it took me a minute and a half). Allow to cool until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Smooth over cooled bars and top with white chocolate chips. Cut into bars once chocolate has cooled and enjoy!

Source: slightly adapted from Hershey's Brownies, Bars, and Treats

Comments

Popular Posts