Beef Stroganoff

When I first decided I wanted to really learn how to cook, this is one of the first things I made. I still haven't decided if this was a reasonable choice or not, but I had looked over numerous recipes and gave it a go anyways. Needless to say, it was a success. Despite all the recipes I have tried since then, this one still remains one of our favorite.



Now, go enjoy some Beef Stroganoff!

Recipe:
Yield: 6-8 servings

4 pieces of bacon
1 lb round or sirloin steak, sliced thin
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 cube beef builion
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp season salt
8 oz fresh mushrooms*
1 cup sour cream
1 bag wide egg noodles

Cook the bacon in a medium pot. Remove and dice. Dredge the meat in the flour. Fry the dredged meat in the remaining bacon fat to brown (don't worry about cooking the meat through at this point). Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute one more minute. Add water and bring to a boil then add the builion cube, worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, pepper, seasoned salt and bacon. Stir and return to a boil. Simmer until the meat is for tender, about 1 1/2-2 hours; add more water as needed. Add mushrooms and heat until they shrink a little. Turn off the heat and fold in the sour cream. Serve over egg noodles cooked according to package directions.

*I dice mine really small so I get the flavor and not the texture. I'm sure they would be good whole or sliced if you were into the whole mushroom texture thing.

Source: adapted from BigOven "The Best Beef Stroganoff" submitted by sunnyd36

Comments

Popular Posts