Black Bean Tacos

 
This is one of those recipes that I secretly hoped my husband wouldn't ask me what I was making and just be surprised when I told him dinner was ready. Unfortunately, he asked and I had to tell him. I think he was dreading the day that I was going to make Black Bean Tacos all week long.

When the day finally came, I added in ground beef to the original recipe to help give him the idea that they would taste good. He savored the smell of the meat cooking and I was hopeful. Then he ate them. And his response? He loved them. He even insisted that I blog about them because they were that good. That is not something he does very often and is always a sure sign of enjoyment on his part. Moral of the story: don't judge a book by it's cover or a recipe by it's name. You just might be surprised. Just ask my husband.

Recipe:

1/4 lb ground beef
1 tsp chili powder
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup corn
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
6 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
Olive oil
8 -12 corn tortillas
Optional toppings:
Hot sauce
Salsa
Sour cream
1 avocado, sliced

Put the ground beef and chili powder in a skillet and brown. Add the ground beef, black beans, corn, red pepper, onion, cumin, paprika, and cilantro in a bowl and mix together.

Heat just enough olive oil to finely coat the pan. Add one tortilla and cook for a few seconds on one side, then flip over. Sprinkle some cheese on half, add about 1/4 cup black bean mixture, top with more cheese and fold tortilla in half, making a mini quesadilla. Cook for about one minute on each side. Continue with the rest of the tortillas until the mixture is gone.

Enjoy with your choice of toppings! We chose sour cream and avocado and weren't at all disappointed.

Source: adapted from Cornerstone Cooking

Comments

Popular Posts