Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

I was excited about this recipe, like, really excited. I love Philly Cheesesteaks and I love any dish that involves stuffing a vegetable. Score on both accounts.


Perhaps the best part about this meal was the roast beef. I didn't just buy prepackaged thin sliced roast beef, I went to the deli counter and chose which one I wanted them to slice for me. This definitely worked to my advantage and I highly recommend you do the same. I was worried about the mushrooms though. I don't like the texture of mushrooms, although I do enjoy the flavor. I was able to work around this by slicing and dicing them until they were in small chunks. This way we got the flavor of the mushroom without the icky texture. Score again.

Try these babies. You won't be sad you did.

Recipe:
Yield: 2-4 servings

8 oz Thinly Sliced Roast Beef
8 Slices Provolone Cheese
2 Large Green Peppers
1 Medium Onion
6 oz Mushrooms
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
Salt and Pepper, to taste
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
 
Dice the onion and mushrooms. Heat the olive oil and butter and add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are beginning to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes. Slice the roast beef into strips and add to the onion/mushroom mixture and cook for another 10 minutes.
 
Slice the green peppers in half lengthwise and line each half with a slice of provolone cheese. Put the beef mixture into the pepper halves and top with another slice of provolone cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
 
Enjoy!
 
Source: slightly adapted from Peace, Love and Low Carb

Comments

Popular Posts