Coconut Curry

One of my favorite flavors is curry. I think I was 21 or 22 the first time I tried curry and I have been in love ever since. Usually I avoid making things curry related for a couple reasons: 1) Hunter makes a Japanese curry that is delightful and 2) I am afraid that I won't be able to do it justice.
When I saw this recipe though, I knew it was a go also for a couple reasons: 1) I am trying to make some sort of seafood every couple weeks or so and this included shrimp 2) I love curry.
I am not a shrimp lover. I like the flavor but not enough to overcome the texture. Originally I debated breaking it up into two batches one with chicken and one with shrimp, but in the end, I just put them both in one because I was too lazy to make and do the dishes for separate batches. It worked out well - Hunter got his seafood fix and shrimp are easy enough to pick out and put on his plate to not even bother me. I have no doubt that this recipe would be delightful with just shrimp or just chicken so I'll leave that up to you to decide!

Recipe:
Yield: 4-6 servings

Coconut or canola oil
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 tbsp curry powder, depending on how strong you like it
1 medium potato, diced
2 1/2 cups coconut milk (if using canned variety, one 6-8 oz can plus one can of milk will do the trick)
8 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined (or 1 chicken breast)
1 medium tomato
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp honey
1-2 tsp chili powder, or to taste
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 can water chesnuts
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pan, heat oil and add curry powder. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and green onion and cook for another minute. Mix in the potatoes, then stir in coconut milk. Add shrimp, tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, and chili powder. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add frozen peas and water chesnuts and cook for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.

Source: adapted from Wishful Chef

Comments

Popular Posts