Chicken Enchiladas

I have a love hate relationship with enchiladas - or used to at least. I love to eat them, but up until this point had hated to make them. I could not for the life of me find a recipe that satisfied my enchilada needs. One day, after I swore off ever trying to make them again, Hunter called his dad and asked him to email me his recipe. It took me a few months to work up the courage to try again, but I am glad I did because it turned out successful!


Although it isn't the most photogenic food item I have ever made, they sure were tasty - and not just mush like everything else I had tried up to this point.


The good news: I will be making these again. And you should make them too.

Recipe:

2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp canola oil
2 cans green chili enchilada sauce
2 cans evaporated milk
1 onion, diced
1 small can of green chilis
12 corn tortillas
2-3 cups grated Mexican cheese (cheddar or any variation of would work)
1 small can black olives
Green onion and sour cream to garnish

Turn the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray or butter a 9x13 pan. Mix together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Cut the chicken into small cubes and coat in the flour mixture and fry in a the canola oil. Set aside.

Combine the diced onion and the chilis in a small bowl.

Combine the enchilada sauce and evaporated milk in a large bowl.

Heat 1/4 cup of canola oil in a large frying pan. Fry the corn tortillas one at a time, a few seconds on each side. Before they get hard, take them out of the frying pan and put in the enchilada sauce/milk mixture to cool (this is easiest to do in sets of 4). Take one cooked tortilla out of the mixture and put a large spoonful of the onion/chili mixture, a few pieces of chicken, some olives, and some cheese on it and roll it up, placing it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, until all 12 are completed. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce/milk mixture over the top. Cover with the rest of the cheese. Bake for at least 30 minutes, until they are bubbly and the cheese on top is completely melted and starting to brown.

Garnish with green onions and sour cream and enjoy!

Source: Paddock Family Recipe

Comments

Popular Posts