Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

If I could I would probably eat something Mexican or an Americanized version of Mexican every single day. However, I try to make sure my husband enjoys my cooking as well - which means absolutely not more than once a week, if that. Unfortunately his love of Mexican food is no where near as strong as mine.

This has caused me to greatly increase my ability to cook - and enjoy - other types of food though. So good can come from every situation.

This meal is part of our regular rotation and, coincidentally, we both love it! The first time I wanted to make it, Hunter kept putting it off and putting it off because it didn't sound any good to him (aaaand it was Mexican themed to boot). So, I beg of you, don't judge a meal by it's name. You might actually REALLY enjoy it.

Side note: the original recipe is made vegetarian, and I am sure it would be delightful that way. I have made it with both ground beef and chicken and both were very good. So feel free to experiment!

Recipe:
Yield: 4-6 servings

4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 tbsp. canola oil

1-2 Chicken breasts
1 large onion, diced
1-2 jalapenos, minced and seeded depending on how hot you want it (I generally keep most of the seeds)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder

1 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper
2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups water
1-2 cups frozen corn
4 green onions, thinly sliced

8 oz. shredded Mexican cheese
Sour cream and salsa, for serving (optional, obviously)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Trim the tortillas to fit a  10 inch springform pan by using the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.

Heat the oil over medium heat. Add chicken, cook until browned and cooked all the way through. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened. Add beans and water to the skillet and bring to a boil. Simmer until liquid has almost evaporated - about 8-10 minutes. Add the corn and green onions and remove from heat.

Put a trimmed tortilla in the bottom of the springform pan and layer with 1/4 of the beans and sprinkle with some of the cheese. Repeat until all remaining ingredients have been used. Bake until hot and the cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.

Source: slightly adapted from Annie's Eats

Comments

Popular Posts