Sweet and SALTY Pork

Let's have story time for a minute. A couple weeks ago, Hunter so kindly went through one of the most popular blogs on Pinterest, Six Sister's Stuff. They happen to have a lot of practical, yummy looking recipes and that was the section he focused on. He compiled a list for me of things he would like to try in the near future. One recipe on the list was Slow Cooker Kalua Pork and Rice bowls. I set forth with good intentions to have a yummy dinner. I prepared it in my slow cooker with slight adjustments to the ingredients...I couldn't find liquid smoke anywhere nor was I really even sure where to look for it. I decided that soy sauce would be an acceptable alternative. One thing I failed to take into account was how salty soy sauce is naturally and didn't compensate for that when I prepared it.


Needless to say, we had a very salty dinner that night. Hunter was a good sport and stomached it with high spirits. I did my best to do the same. However, when it came to eating the leftovers neither of us could get ourselves excited about eating soooo much salt.


So, instead of just stomaching it again I decided to experiment a little bit. My veggie supply was running a little short so I added basically everything I had that I thought would go well together. My end goal was to dampen the salty taste and hopefully have an edible dinner. Not only was it edible, we actually both enjoyed it! I always get excited when Hunter is pleasantly surprised and gives better reviews than I expect. I do highly suggest garnishing with at least the shredded coconut because it lifts it to a whole new level. And in my opinion, avocado makes everything better so I suggest adding that too.

Recipe:
Yield: 4-6 servings

1 lb pork tenderloin
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 red pepper, diced
1 jalepeno, diced
1/3 cup sweet and sour sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp fresh, chopped basil
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 can bamboo shoots, drained
1/4 tsp vindaloo seasoning

Garnish (if desired) with avocado and shredded coconut.

Rub Pork Tenderloin with soy sauce and salt and put in the crock pot. Cook for 10-12 hours on low. When pork is cooked through, shred with two forks.

In a medium sauce pan, melt the coconut oil. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the red pepper and jalapeno and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the sweet and sour sauce, water, ketchup, honey, tomatoes, and vindaloo seasoning. Cook until everything is all heated through, about 7-10 minutes. Add the pork and bamboo shoots.

Serve over rice and top with avocado and shredded coconut if desired.

Source: Tasty Tiff original

Comments

Popular Posts