Buttermilk Bacon Muffins

Are you feeling savory? I hope so because all of the recipes that are currently waiting to be posted do not involve chocolate or sugar as a main ingredient. This is a big moment.


This is also the first time I have ever baked with bacon. I have seen numerous recipes for cookies and cupcakes that include bacon but I just don't understand how bacon and chocolate mix. Both are wonderful things, but mixed? I am skeptical. I figured this recipe was normal enough to be a good introduction for me and maybe one day I will understand why people think baking with bacon is such a great idea.


These make wonderful little breakfast treats and are a nice break from all the sweet (gasp-did I really just say that??). Enjoy!

Recipe:
Yield: 12 muffins

6 slices thick cut bacon
2 golden delicious apples
2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup canola oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil 12 standard muffin cups.

In a frying pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry. Crumble the bacon and set aside. Peel and grate the apples.

In a bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and egg until smooth. Add the buttermilk mixture, apple, and bacon and stir until just combined.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. Fill any unused cups 1/3 full with water to allow more even baking. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Source: Adapted from Williams Sonoma, Cooking at Home, page 427

*If you don't routinely have buttermilk, using 1 cup of milk + 1 tbsp vinegar gives the same effect and taste. This is almost exclusively the method I use because I can never go through a whole thing of buttermilk without at least wasting some of it. This way I feel more fiscally responsible and less wasteful.

Comments

Popular Posts