Pepper Cornmeal Muffins

I rarely ate anything pepper related until I started dating my husband. Since then, I have been enlightened to the point that almost every time I go to the grocery store I buy some kind of pepper. There was a recipe on my menu last week that called for half of a red pepper so I had to figure out how to use the other half, right? These little guys were the result. 


I also added in a jalapeno because I think that jalapenos are my favorite things to buy and they add such a nice flavor. 

Of course these could be made without the peppers and still taste very yummy. 


Recipe:
Yield: 18-20 muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup corn meal
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup applesauce (or vegetable oil)
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line 18-20 muffin tins.

Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, and applesauce. Mix well. Add to the flour mixture, stir just until blended. Add in the peppers. Pour into prepared muffin tins, filling them 2/3 full.

Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, remove and cool slightly.

To make cornbread: Pour batter into greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes.

Source: adapted from Alber's Corn Meal Box

Comments

Popular Posts