Saucy Baked BBQ Chicken

Let me first set the record straight: I rarely like BBQ sauce. I will never seek it out to use for dipping and will only eat it rarely and usually only when it has been used as a marinade. 


Now that we've got that clear, these are yummy, yummy! My husband is a big fan of dark meat and I have little exposure to it so when I see a recipe that looks like I will be able to stomach it I generally give it a try. I am pleased I did with this one. Granted, I cheated a little bit - instead of using legs or thighs with the bone in, I used boneless, skinless thighs. I don't at all support bones in my food. I am sure that if you are a bone in skin on kind of person they would be delightful made that way too. Next time I make these I might just try it with legs.


Recipe:
Yield: 3-4 servings

12 chicken drumsticks or 8 thighs, about 3 1/2 pounds
1 cup bbq sauce, divided (I used honey bbq flavored)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used Cholula)

In a large, sealable plastic bag mix together 1/4 cup of the bbq sauce with the rest of the ingredients.

Make 2 slashes about 1 inch apart in the thickest part of the drumstick, cutting to the bone. Transfer the chicken to the bag with the bbq sauce mixture. Press most of the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Shake the bag gently to distribute the sauce evenly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (I did mine overnight).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Line a baking sheet with foil. Remove the chicken from the bag with tongs and space evenly on the rack. Discard the contents of the bag. Brush both sides of the drumsticks with bbq sauce. 

Bake for 15 minutes, remove, turn over, and brush generously with more sauce. Return to the oven and repeat this process 3 more times for a total cooking time of about 50-60 minutes. When done, the chicken will be fork tender and nicely glazed. 

Source: The Comfort of Cooking

Comments

Popular Posts