Creamy Chicken Taquitos

I think almost every food blog I browse has a version of this recipe posted. Yes, it is that good. And yes, I think it is time for me to join the club. Also, it is super easy to make and can hang out in the freezer until you are ready to eat it. I think I have had a stash of these in my freezer consistently for 6 months or so. Whenever I miscalculate how much food Hunter and I are going to eat in a week or if I don't feel like cooking, Creamy Chicken Taquitos come to the rescue. They have yet to disappoint. 


Recipe:
Yield: 10-12 Taquitos

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup salsa
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
Green onion, chopped
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese (our other variations according to your pleasure - cheddar, pepper jack)
10-12 6 inch flour tortillas
Cooking Spray
Kosher Salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (aluminum foil also works, but be sure to coat with cooking spray).

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese. Mix well. 

Breifly heat the tortillas in the microwave to make them soft enough to roll easily. Place tortilla on a work surface, spoon 2-3 tbsp of the filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla, and roll the tortilla tightly around the filling. Place seam side down on a baking sheet.* Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. 

*To freeze: At this point, place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Transfer to freezer safe container or plastic bag. To bake from the freezer, add about 5 minutes to the baking time to ensure that they are fully warmed. 

Source: slightly adapted from Annie's Eats, also available on other various food blogs

Comments

Popular Posts