Honey Sesame Chicken

I have tried a number of crock pot recipes over the last couple months that always promise me the sauce will thicken. Guess what...it never does! I have yet to master this art, obviously. So, when I saw this recipe and it called for cornstarch dissolved in water I knew my chances of having the sauce thicken were good. And I wasn't disappointed! Maybe I should try this method in the other recipes that claim it will magically thicken on it's own? I don't know.


Anyway, onto the Honey Sesame Chicken goodness. This seriously tasted like a dish straight from Teriyaki Stix. Although I am sure it's not their actual recipe, I will never complain about a good knock off. This dish is one that is sure to please and the best part? It is super easy and takes maybe 10 minutes of active time. Now that is my kind of recipe.

Recipe:
Yield: about 6 servings

5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lbs)
Salt and Pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (definitely adds a kick - adjust according to your tastes)
4 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 6 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp sesame seeds

Lightly season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and put into the crock pot. In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken and cook on low for 4 hours.

Remove chicken from the crock pot, but leave the sauce. Add the dissolved cornstarch and stir to combine. Cook sauce on high for ten or more minutes until thickened. Shred chicken into bite size pieces and add to the thickened sauce along with sesame seeds.

Source: slightly adapted from Very Culinary

Comments

Popular Posts