Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

For my mom's birthday my sister bought her concert tickets. This is exciting for me because that means that they got to stay a couple nights at my house (which I LOVE)! One of the meals that we ate were these Stuffed Peppers. And they were a hit, to say the least. 


My sister made the comment that I should change the name of my blog to "Saving Brittani's Marriage Blog". Not that she is even married yet. haha. She assured me that when that does happen, she will be heavily relying on my blog to feed her husband. The whole getting married thing was the inspiration behind my beginning to cook, so maybe it will be for her too ;)



These guys are super adaptable to whatever it is you are feeling. I used hot salsa (DEFINITELY produced a good kick - in my sister's words: "my mouth is on fire!") and brown rice. I also used a mixture of sharp cheddar cheese and pepperjack cheese. I didn't add any meat to mine, but I'm sure they would be good with a little bit of chicken or ground beef mixed in as well. The sky is the limit. Make them to suite your fancy or make them exactly like I did and I am sure you won't be disappointed!

Recipe:
Yield: 4-6 servings


3 red bell peppers
1 cup rice
1 cup salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Sliced Cheese (sharp cheddar, pepperjack, you choose!)


Cut the peppers in half, removing the seeds and white stuff. Place in a baking dish, cut side down. Bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 15 minutes - until the skins begin to bubble and peppers are just tender.


Cook the rice according to package directions. In a bowl, stir together rice, salsa, beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees. Fill baked peppers with the mixture and cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with cheese slices and bake for 5 more minutes.

Enjoy!


Source: adapted from The Comfort of Cooking

Comments

Popular Posts