Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa

Looking through my archives the other day, I realized that I am heavily skewed towards the sweet end of the spectrum. Not that I expected much different, but I was trying to keep a little bit of balance. haha. Here is my reasoning: I make dinner regularly, and even photograph it regularly. Then I make some new desert and love it soooo much that I have to share it as soon as I can. I justify by thinking "oh, I'll make sure I post this dinner recipe later in the week". Obviously that doesn't happen very often. In an effort to correct that wrong, I am going to post quite a few dinner recipes over the next week. That's the plan anyway....

Here is the first one: Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa.


The original recipe calls for tangerines instead of blood oranges. When I went to the store I didn't see any tangerines so I bought what I thought were normal oranges. Lucky for me, it happened to be right when blood oranges are in season and somehow I ended up bringing a couple of those home to enjoy. Both my husband and I were quite surprised when I pulled the peel off and the insides were much more red than expected. The flavor was pleasant however, and I am pleased about my happy accident.

Recipe:
Yield: 4 servings

2 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp honey
1 tsp lime zest
3/4 tsp salt, divided
2 blood oranges, peeled and diced
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 1/2-2 lb tilapia
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp canola oil

Whisk lime juice, honey, lime zest, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Stir in blood oranges, green onions, bell pepper, and cilantro. Set aside.

Season tilapia with the remaining salt. Dip the fish in the flour covering both sides as completely as possible. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. cook the tilapia until golden brown and cooked through - about 3 or 4 minutes a side.

Serve with the salsa.

Source: adapted from Healthy Seasonal Recipes

Comments

Popular Posts